Water is the essence of life. We can survive three weeks without food, but only three days without water according to some estimates. It was H.H. Mitchell, scholar and lead author of The Chemical Composition of the Adult Human Body, who deciphered the average adult human body is between 50 to 65% water.
The majority of emerging skin care brands in today’s “clean beauty” era are primarily oil based. We see new marketing consistently popping up that tells us water isn’t necessary. I prefer to differ with this line of thinking and want to explore this subject more!
When creating Greek-inspired YASOU skin care I chose to be a water-based skin care line knowing that I would have challenges with the preservation aspect. Mold can grow in water with organic nutrients, especially when oxygen enters the picture. I’m not going to elaborate on the science of this but wanted to touch on the reason why so many brands today are oil based. They feel like they don’t need to worry as much about preservatives as you do with water-based products. Beware of this because oil based products still need to have preservatives. Many of these brands use 190 proof alcohol which is drying to the skin.
Top reasons why I chose YASOU skin care to be a water-based skin care line are:
- Humans are water-based creatures. I wanted our certified organic oils, active ingredients and purified water to absorb to the inner layers of theskin reaching a cellular levelto give you optimal benefits.
- High water content in skin care products is more compatible with a wider variety of skin types.
- We focus on deep hydration by packing moisture into the dermis and infusing our formula into the skin thus hydrating with active ingredients, nutrients and antioxidants without disrupting the moisture barrier.
- With up to 65 percent of the body composed of water and the skin as the largest organ, it makes perfect sense that water would be essential in the natural balance of the skin cell membrane.
- Water helps keep your skin tight and toned, cleansed and flushed of toxins. Your body naturally fills cells with water to make them firm and tight, thus reducing the appearance of wrinkles for a smooth finish.
Cleansing with water
Do you use soap? What kind of cleanser? The bottom line is that we are all different and you’ll have to experiment with what works for you. Personally, I stopped using soap on my face years ago. I only use water and have seen a vast improvement to my skin. When I used cleansers and/or soap my face became drier and broke out with acne even more. Not anymore!
Currently, I am looking at filters for better, cleaner water and investing my money in this area. I use YASOU vegan face cream set daily. I came across some info that I thought you would appreciate on face washing by the American Academy of Dermatology.
Water is an essential beauty product from the inside to the outside of your body. You can enhance your skin by taking advantage of the benefits of water for your body. Drink water daily and use water-based skin care that also contains certified organic oils.